America's Pedal - Reviews
This page will serve as an index for DOD FX-series reviews (with 28 different FX-series pedals reviewed as of September 2014), new product blurbs/NAMM announcements, and related information. Although the site's main focus is on DOD FX-series pedals, we will also include other related DOD/DigiTech reviews/blurbs as they become available. Please check back for more reviews and other information.
DOD FX-series reviews:
- DOD "FX" Series: FX20, FX40, FX50, FX55 | FX 60, FX70, FX80, and FX100 pedal board
International Musician and Recording World, September 1983; pp. 6-7.
- Plugging In: DOD FX90 Delay, reviewed by Bob Rose
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, May 1985; p. 101.
- Fuzztone User's Guide
Art Thompson and the GP staff reviewed 31 different overdrive/distortion pedals, including 8 of the 9 dirt pedals offered by DOD at the time (FX50-B, FX52, FX53, FX54, FX55-B, FX56-B, FX58, and FX59); the FX57, which was discontinued by 1993, was not reviewed.
Guitar Player, October 1992; excerpted from pp. 72-73.
- Pawnshop Prizes
Art Thompson reviewed several vintage/used pedals, including the still-available-new-at-the-time FX25; however, the FX25 shown in the pictures accompanying the review was likely made between the late '80s and early '90s (second FX series, outlined DOD logo)
Guitar Player, January 1994; excerpted from p. 129.
- A Wah-Wah Buyers's Guide: DOD FX-17 Wah/Volume Controller, as reviewed by the GS staff
Guitar Shop, Spring 1994; excerpted from p. 54-56.
- Attack of the Fuzzies: DOD FX69 Grunge Pedal, as reviewed by E.D. Menasche
Guitar World, September 1994; excerpted from p. 172.
- Step on It! Welcome to the Age of Digital Stomp Boxes includes the DOD DFX9, DFX91, and DFX94, as reviewed by Jon Chappell and Pete Prown
Guitar Shop, Winter 1995; excerpted from p. 30-33, 76.
- Bench Tests: Clash of '97!, by Art Thompson
Includes reviews of the DOD FX100 Integrated Tube and FX101 Grind Rectifying Overdrive, among 22 other "freshman fuzzboxes".
Guitar Player, June 1997; excerpted from p. 77, 79.
- Bench Tests: Slaps, Sweeps, Belches, & Bleeps, by Joe Gore
Includes reviews of the DOD FX747 Supersonic Stereo Flange and FX96 Echo FX, among 16 other new delay and modulation effects.
Guitar Player, July 1997; excerpted from p. 124, 126.
- 3 New Echoes..., by Lisa Sharken
Includes a review of the FX96, and two other contemporary delay pedals.
Guitar Shop, November 1997; excerpted from p. 62-63.
- Time Machines, by Dominic Hilton
Includes a review of the FX96, and two other contemporary delay pedals
Guitar World, August 1998; p. 180.
- Maximum Overdrive: Six Stompboxes Go for the Gain, by Joe Gore
Includes a review of the DOD FX102 Mystic Blues Overdrive.
Guitar Player, December 1998; excerpted from p. 151.
DOD FX-series new product blurbs/NAMM announcements:
- It's New: DOD's FX Series of sound modifiers
Guitar Player, January 1983; p. 126.
- New Products: DOD FX56 American Metal
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, March 1985; p. 89.
- It's New: Bass Effects: DOD FX42, FX82
Guitar Player, July 1987; p. 160.
- New Products: DOD 220 Momentary Footswitch
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, February 1988; p. 112.
- FX67 Stereo Turbo Chorus review
Rip, June 1988; p. 73.
- Winter NAMM 1989 report
DOD/DigiTech introduced the PDS 1650 and announced the DFX series (DFX5, DFX6, and DFX9), although the DFX6 was never actually produced.
Guitar Player, May 1989.
- New Gear: DOD FX54 Attacker
Guitar Player, February 1992; p. 147.
- New Products: DOD FX54 Attacker
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, February 1992; p. 151.
- FX54 Attacker review
Rip, April 1992; pp. 79-80.
- New Gear: DOD FX70 Metal X
Guitar Player, July 1993; p. 125.
- New Gear: DOD FX32, FX33, FX86
Guitar Player, October 1994; p. 126.
- The Father, the Son, and the Holy Grunge
Jeff Gilbert's interview with Kim Thayil/Soundgarden and Buzz Osbourne/Melvins included commentary on the FX69 Grunge and the development of the FX33 Buzz Box
Guitar World, February 1995; excerpted from pp. 46, 50.
- New Equipment: DOD FX92 Bass Grunge
Guitar World, September 1995; p. 187.
- Guitar Picks: DOD FX76 Punkifier
Guitar, January 1996; p. 147.
- New Equipment: DOD FX64 Ice Box
Guitar World, May 1996.
- Guitar Picks: What's a Gonkulator? New Stompboxes from DOD
Announcing the FX13, FX22, FX51, FX64, and FX84.
Guitar, June 1996; p. 166.
- Guitar Picks: DOD FX12 Tuna
Guitar, December 1996; p. 160.
- New Equipment: DOD FX66 Flashback Fuzz
Guitar World, September 1999; p. 189.
Other DOD/DigiTech-related reviews/blurbs:
- It's New: DOD Flanger 640
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time a DOD product was profiled in Guitar Player.
Guitar Player, October 1978; p. 172.
- It's New: DOD Analog Delay 680
Guitar Player, July 1979; p. 218.
- DOD Overdrive, Chorus & Phase
Original-series Phasor 490, Overdrive Pre-Amp 250, and Chorus 690
International Musician and Recording World,1982 Equipment Test Guide; p. 85.
- On Test: DOD Stereo Chorus 565, Flanger 575
International Musician and Recording World, March 1982; p. 45.
- Best Buy: DOD Electronics announces the introduction of the Performer 500 series
Musician, April 1982; p. 94.
- Plugging In: DOD 944 Chain Reaction, reviewed by Bob Rose.
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, June 1985; p. 110.
- Plugging In: DigiTech PDS 1000, reviewed by Bob Rose.
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, November 1985; p. 106.
- DigiTech PDS 1550 review
Circus, January 1986; p. 78.
- New Products: DigiTech PDS 1700
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, May 1986; p. 100.
- Soundcheck: DigiTech PDS 2000, reviewed by Mark Bosch.
Guitar World, September 1986; p. 59.
- New Equipment: DOD DigiTech PDS 20/20 Digital Delay
Guitar World, Jan. 1987; p. 65.
- Product Profile: Four DOD DigiTech Effects, by Paul Rivera
Reviews of the DigiTech PDS 1550, 1700, 2000, and 1002.
Guitar Player, March 1987; p. 118.
- Hot Stuff: DigiTech PDS 20/20
Guitar for the Practicing Musician, April 1987; p. 99.
- DigiTech PDS 8000 review
Creem, September 1987; p. 52.
- The Sound Report: DigiTech Pedalverb PDS 3000, edited by Jeff Moses
Note that the accompanying photo that ran with this review is of the PDS 1002.
Rip, December 1987; p. 36.
- GP's Summer NAMM recap included DigiTech's Whammy Pedal.
Guitar Player, October 1990; p. 59.
- GP's Winter NAMM recap included blurbs on DOD's reissue 201 Phasor, 250 Overdrive Preamp, 280 Compressor, and 440 Envelope Filter
Guitar Player, May1995; excerpted from p. 107, 118.
- Art Thompson's Stompbox Stampede: Stomping into the Future included the reissue DOD 250/Overdrive Preamp and the Phasor 201.
Guitar Player, June 1995; p. 100.
- Jurassic Stomp Boxes: DOD Retro Pedals, by Max Cassileth
Reviews of the reissue Phasor 201, Overdrive/Preamp 250, Compressor 280, and Envelope Filter 440.
Guitar Shop, June 1995; p. 13.
- Soundcheck: DigiTech Talker, reviewed by Chris Gill.
Guitar World, March 1998; p. 190.
- New Gear: Retrodrive (DOD Overdrive Preamp reissue).
Guitar Player, April 1998; p. 113.
- New Equipment: DigiTech WH-1 Whammy Reissue
Guitar World, July 2000; p. 192.
- The Buzz Bin: DigiTech WH-1 Whammy Reissue, reviewed by Tom Beaujour.
Guitar World, October 2000; p. 182.
- New Gear: DOD YJM 308 Yngwie Malmsteen overdrive pedal, the "first of several signature stompboxes from DOD."
Guitar Player, April 2002; p. 31.
- Bench Test: DOD YJM 308, reviewed by Darrin Fox.
Guitar Player, June 2002; p. 123-126.
- Pawnshop Prize: Vintage Compressors, with the DOD Compressor/280, by Art Thompson (photo by Paul Haggard)
Guitar Player, June 2003; p. 152.
home FX index America's pedal? field guide serial no. info FX literature
what's new? FX tech info links disclaimer/legal/contact us